Aunt Jackies curlmane-tenance Review

I went to the Hair She Grows Natural Hair expo in September to showcase my photography work in my first booth. I was excited to see so many natural hair vendors in one place because any naturalist knows finding products that work with your hair can be quite the task. When it comes to straight hair I have my regime down pact. I know which brands of relaxers and texturizers work best for me and how long to leave them on. I know which products give me the right amount of shine and moisture without weighing my hair down and what deep conditioning methods my hair responds to. (read my mayo mask post here) But when I went natural texture all bets were off. I would still use the same products when I was natural and straightening my hair but my curls looked dry with those products because they are not meant for heat free hair.



Aunt Jackie had a huge booth! They were selling full-sized products as well as giving out samples of the products they had available. I told one of the ladies working the booth I had started wearing my hair in its natural state a few months ago and was looking for products. I mentioned I tried the Shea Moisture Curling Souffle and was not impressed. (I'll be reviewing that one as well.) I was given a tote bag with a variety of samples and suggestions on what to do with my hair. The first product I tried was the curlmane-tenance defining curl whip. I give this product a huge WOMP! I am so glad I did not purchase a full sized container of this because I would need my money back. I'm going to break the product down in a few categories;


  • Smell
    • The product smells good, it smells like shea butter. There aren't any additional fragrances so if you want to smell like fruit flowers this is not the product for you. It smells more like lotion. It doesn't have a chemical smell like some hair products do so that's a plus but there isn't much to say about how it smells.
  • Texture & Consistency
    • This product feels like lotion, I'm sure you could use it as lotion on your skin and be OK. It seems like the product has a powder base because it looked like the formula hadn't been mixed properly.  Very similar to when your baking brownies and don't fully mix the wet ingredients in, you can see the chunks of dry mix. It was like that with this product and when it dried it was so obvious. I had small chunks of product all over my head, even when I tried to go back over my hair with a water spray bottle. Still no avail.
  • Final result
    • Not impressed. I attempted to do a wash and go with this product because I was in a hurry and was not happy that I had to walk around with little white chunks in my hair all day. My hair looked like the photo below and I had just washed my hair. Not cute!



  • Would I recommend this product?
    • I'm going to have to say no. I'm not sure if I just got a bad sample but I was so unimpressed by this product. 
Have you tried this product? Did you have a better result? What products do you like for natural hair?

Jourdan

I'm a right-brained Lousiana born Cali girl. I'm a former dancer, basktball player and theater kid turned media swiss army knife and gym rat. I love Jamba Juice, photography and the beach. I live in sunny Florida with my amazing husband Solomon.

No comments:

Post a Comment