Keeping Adoption Paperwork Organized

One of the things that shocked me about adoption, after the price, was the amount of paperwork involved in it. There is literally a form for everything and by the time we're done I think I may be responsible for the loss of an entire tree. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration but, there is a lot of paper involved.

Being a photographer I know it's best to keep things in more than one place in case something happens to one copy so you have a backup so I've started keeping track of my to-dos and forms through Asana. Every form we fill out I will keep a hard copy in a designated binder as well as scan a copy to upload to my project list.

This is what my dashboard looks like. I started adding to it yesterday and have a lot more information to add. I like this for a few reasons;

  1. I can create sections and a sublist to each section. 
  2. Each item listed can have a description added, I can comment to remind myself to do or add something and I can upload files to each item. You can also add a list to a listed item. 
  3. Completed items get hidden so I can focus on what I still need to do 


This is the main page
Here is a list within a list, it's like Inception for lists


There are about 25 different forms we need to fill out and records we need to request to get started in addition to all of the changes we need to make to our home in order to have our home study approved. So when people say "don't rush into adoption" I just laugh because there is nothing rushed about adoption. We have to get physicals, get copies of our medical records to show we're healthy enough to parent, letters of recommendation from friends & coworkers,  we have to provide tax returns and a family budget to prove we can afford to raise a child, background checks, fingerprinting...etc  It's probably the longest process I've been a part of and we just got started. 

We have the orientation with a potential agency at the end of January, then we will do our home study. Once the home study is complete it's a waiting game to see which expectant mom likes our profile (what I'm still in the process of designing) and wants to meet us. We're hoping to have a little one by this time next year. [fingers crossed]

Jourdan

I'm a right-brained Lousiana born Cali girl. I'm a former dancer, basktball player and theater kid turned media swiss army knife and gym rat. I love Jamba Juice, photography and the beach. I live in sunny Florida with my amazing husband Solomon.

No comments:

Post a Comment